Sunday, April 10, 2011

Grab Your Swim Suit...Lets Hit The Beach!

This post title "clicked in my head" when I double checked Yellow Shirter "Pastor Stan's" cold weather riding list and proclaimed, "Say WHAT?".  (You can check on Stan's Wears here or on the page tab above)

No snow boots, long underwear, winter bike tights, two pair of wool socks, two long sleeve jerseys, balaclava head gear, or long finger gloves, and no jacket!  All that's required is bike shoes, short socks, bike shorts, short sleeve bike shirt, fingerless bike gloves, and a helmet.

I have been so use to riding in 20 to 30 degree weather that Stan's recommendations for a 75 degree day seemed like I was wearing a bathing suit!  It's all I could think about as I pedaled out of the driveway...unclear as to where I would head on this ride.

I pondered what graphic image I would be able to locate to reinforce my joy of wearing next to nothing for this April 10th ride. Upon returning home, I found the perfect swim suit image.  You doubt me?  This guy did not!

(Ban me from riding for life...if I ever get this bold!)

Now that we have the SWIMSUIT ISSUE resolved, let me flashback and recall I needed to find the "perfect beach" for today's ride!  The Metro Bike & Hike trail, where I found solace on Friday afternoon, would not be a safe riding option--that place would be a TOTAL ZOO with joggers, walkers, and strollers. No.  The place to "sun bathe" would be the VALLEY!

I opted to take my favorite Cuyahoga Falls exit route towards Season Rd by heading north on Sixth, proceeding on Oakwood, and continuing onto Wyoga Lake. (Yellow Shirter "Reunion Walt" hooked me up with this route last fall.)  Using State Rd, I planned to connect up with Truxell for my decent into Cuyahoga Valley National Park (which was not negatively impacted by Congress' potential failure to reach a budget compromise on Friday).

From the very start of today’s ride, I knew things would be joyous. Families refreshingly occupied side walks and front porches throughout each neighborhood section. I waved, greeted, and tweaked my bell on every possible occasion.  With each ringing of my bell I was SHOUTING without using words, "What a glorious day!"

I was like a little kid sitting in the back seat of a car on a drive to an ocean beach. I could smell the salt wafting in the breeze of the air.  My anticipation was based on the thought that dropping into the valley was going to be awesome. Am I being too juvenile? I think not!

At the top of Truxell a small band (3) of women riders were trying to regroup to head south on State Rd. I decided not to tweak my bell to avoid disrupting their organizational efforts. But as I then descended Truxell, I tweaked and waved a greeting at each passing cyclist to celebrate the day. I appropriately tweaked hikers and golfers (not in their backswings) as I passed the correlated activity zones.

The Valley did not disappoint. As I circled north on Akron Peninsula Rd, it did not take long to see that the downtown area was buzzing.  People were everywhere.  While proceeding cautiously, I spotted fifty plus bikes piled into the bike racks outside of Fishers.  It was the place to be.

When I proceeded to Riverview Rd, to start the southerly circle, I glanced down at my $13 bike computer.  It showed an average speed of 17 mph which confirmed the feeling I had been booking well above my winter pace.  Thank you sunshine.  Thank you warmth.  Thank you fellow bikers, hikers, and even motorcycles...which were out in massive numbers. Then it HAPPENED AGAIN!

Midway down on Riverview I spotted a bike with panniers parked on its kickstand...just to the right of the white stripe on the west side of the road. The rider seemed to be looking for something in the weeds. As he turned back to return to his bike, I was already slowing to ask if he needed assistance.  By the time I reached him, he bent over and compressed two aluminum cans under each foot.  I could see he had no problems... so I only said hello.

Once I got 25 yards past him I hit my breaks, checked for clearance, and u-turned to catch up with the man who had now crossed to the east side of the street. I had my initial questions ready and was delightfully shocked by the responses he gave.

My new friend's name is Vern. If you are a regular rider in the valley you might know or have possibly seen him. We talked for a good 30 minutes. I felt like a competitor in the Bass Master Classic, but refrained from shouting out, "This one is a KEEPER!"  Thus, there is much more to write about this new “connection on the trail”. In the mean time, here is one of the pictures I took of Vern.


I rounded the full valley circle and ascended Truxell to head home. Took it easy on my knee in climbing out and faced an "enjoyable" stiff head wind kicking it in from the south.  Logged 39.2 miles in 2 hrs 26 mins at a pace of 16 mph. One of my best overall rides of the year and the glorious day had everything to do with it!

Chat with you soon. As a willey wonker might utter, “So much to say, so little time to say it!”

...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging about cycling. I am relatively new to cycling and no where close to your level of mastery. I am planning my first self supported ride from Pittsburgh to Annapolis this summer on the GAP and C&O Trails. It's nice to read about such an avid cyclist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom:

    Last September I asked one of my Yellow Shirt guys, Dr. Tom, who achieved 200,000 life time miles in November 2010, how do you plan a self supported tour? I mean, I did not even know how to pick the route. His response was, “You just have to have to DREAM IT.” Initially I thought “Oh great. That’s not much help!” I later realized it was the best advice he could have given me.

    It sounds like you are on your way! I’ll give you the nickname “Dreamer Tom!” Thanks for commenting and complementing. I hope to share what I learned from my experiences and from my connections.

    Where are you riding out of now? Akron or Pittsburg?

    Ken J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A thought on hand signals from kidshealth.org
    Thought you might find it enlightening.

    Never change directions or lanes without first looking behind you, and always use the correct hand signals. Use your left arm for all hand signals:

    Left turn: After checking behind you, hold your arm straight out to the left and ride forward slowly.
    Stop: After checking behind you, bend your elbow, pointing your arm downward in an upside down "L" shape and come to a stop.
    Right turn: After checking behind you, bend your elbow, holding your arm up in an "L" shape, and ride forward slowly. Or, hold your right arm straight out from your side.

    It Appears that either method is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then Mike B (BFF):

    You are going to have to wait for my post on "Making the RIGHT Right Turn Signal" before you can make a case for your defense. Thus, I should have said, "No premptive strikes before the blog pitch!"

    You are certainly being proactive, since I brought up this topic to you this afternoon, but I would have hoped you might have gotten something meatier than "kidshealth.org".

    In the mean time...court is on recess...in terms of my official response.

    Others might feel inclined to "chirp in"!

    I feel a potential new "opinion poll" on the horizon.

    As usual, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete