Sunday, April 17, 2011

Don't Leave Home Without it....Your "CULT" Reflection!

Our second oldest son, Andy (27), was getting ready to head out for a "gusty" Sunday morning (4/17) softball practice.  Upon popping back in through the back door, he uttered a belly laugh and this proclamation, "You have some crazy creative biking buddies."  I smiled.  He has always been very perspective.

He then proceeds to loft a projectile through the living space of our den to the adjacent kitchen table where I was...well duh...blogging!

Immediately, everything seemed to down shift into a hyper-slow motion (not warp speed...more like ROMEO speed) as I intently watched the "projectile" being 'hurled" my way while thinking through these concise "flighty" thoughts...in a Jason Borne sort of way:

...could I catch this missile?  Duh..once a goalie always a goalie...go Cager!
...could this projectile be of any danger to us?  Always thinking safety first!
...another ABC devious plot? Could this be a "Steampunk Bomb"?
...or, what of a ROMEO retaliation? Maybe a can of "whoopass"?
...Holy COW droppings!  THIS COULD BE DANGEROUS!!!

When projectile lands safely in my hands, I think to myself, "I have some crazy creative biking buddies!"
...

Even though his teammates were waiting, I talked Andy into heading out the back door with me to capture a picture of my "catch" in the most appropriate of settings...by our CFalls recycling bin!



 
Smaller than a bread box.
 About the size of a "two tennis ball" container.






What's the connection here? 
Recycle Bin..Cycling...Package?






OBSERVATIONS:
First Class Package!
Ships Cheap $1.56
Okay...it's a clear plastic bottle...recycled as a shipping container!
But where are the contents?



If you are thinking about someone, who is a "First Class" individual, and who has been "recycling" cycling parts the past 40 years, you might be able to solve this riddle.





THINK GO GREEN! 

If you can't solve the riddle just yet, keep scrolling below to get a better picture.....




Do you know this man?
If so, mystery solved.
If not, you are looking at a "First Class" crazy creative buddy for all cyclists.
It is my pleasure to introduce you to a legend...CHUCK HARRIS!

YEAR END HELMET REPORT:

As a CPA/Controller type, I am obligated to report that 2010 was a tough year of accounting for my “bike helmet inventory”.

I started the year with two red helmets on hand…that my son Scott left behind when he and wife moved to Busan, South Korea to teach English as a second language in the summer of 2009. 

I added two more helmets to the inventory during the 2010 season. One was a silver helmet that my friend Mike B agreed to let me borrow.  The second, a maroon helmet, was a gift that the Trauma Department at Akron General Medical Center provided when I visited them shortly after my bus crash (shortly means…right after the ambulance brought me there).

The accumulated inventory of four helmets was subsequently depleted whereby only one helmet remained on hand at the end of the year.

Here is the status of the deletions:

  • My “bus crash” incident depleted one of the red helmets.  It is not cool to continue riding with a helmet that is split down the middle due to a “slight impact” with an immovable object.

  • Because of my compassion, I re-gifted the AGMC helmet to an acquaintance who was riding his bike without wearing one.  When his “unlocked” bike was subsequently stolen, out of his front yard in a not so good part of town, the “maroon” helmet was depleted due to the same theft.  In reality, I don’t think this was a wise gift. The recipient, fax pas yellow shirter, WRONG WAY DONZEL is “playing with death” because of his unsafe bike habits.  Donzel is such a “cager”.

  • After a Friday evening ABC ride on August 20th, I left the second red helmet (plus son’s finger less biking gloves, and a two day old “take a look” eye glasses mounted mirror) on the back of my car while storing my bike on the roof rack.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find “my stuff” when I went to ride the following Saturday morning with the Stark County Bike Club out of Loyal Oaks Park.  Fortunately, a “Starky” had “spare stuff” which I borrowed to complete the ride.  When I returned to Green Leaf Park after the Stark ride, the site of the prior Friday night ride, my stuff was no where to be found.  I just hope someone is using my stuff to Ride Safe!

On that afternoon on August 21, I returned to Wheel & Wrench and bought new gloves and another “take a look” mirror…feeling as a dejected and dumb cyclist with money flying out of my wallet due to my carelessness.  Regardless, thanks for the “loaner” helmet Mike B!

I managed to keep my stuff safe for a few weeks before attending, what I thought would be the climax of my first year of cycling, the Hancock Horizontal Hundred.  When Century Tom drove us into “The Cube” Saturday evening (9/11), to pick up our registration packets, he exclaimed, “Chuck is here!”

He then pointed to a “Vintage VW Bus” with other “Vintage Stuff” hanging off the VW bus like “Vines of Vintage”.  My favorite “Vine of Vintage”…was his old bike displaying Chuck’s “home made” rear derailleur.  Crazy Creative for sure! 



The legend of Chuck Harris did not disappoint.  We immediately walked up to his display table in the lobby of Findlay’s public indoor ice skating facility, and I purchased my first Ultra Light Helmet mount mirror for $22.  I found him to be a delightful man.  Let’s say he might be the proverbial “Steampunk Chuck”.

I was struck by the artisan like craftsmanship that I observed from Chuck, as he looked me over and quickly made the necessary adjustment to the “recycled tire spoke” mirror holder so that it would be properly aligned, for my visual line of sight, when I mounted it to my helmet…back at the hotel.  The mirror work perfectly…and never budged! After 40 years, I guess the man knows what he is doing.

From that point forward…I was a full pledged committed member of the “cult”.  I think this web reference explains it best: http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/looking-back-at-my-chuck-harris-rearview-mirror/


Above is a photo set of the “only remaining silver helmet”, which did get me through the winter riding season.  Here are a few notes:

  1. The florescent reflective stickers were added to the helmet when my “commuter days” started in late December.  Normal ABCer riders might not get this excessive reflective thing…but according to LBS Jimmer, the more the better.
  2. The yellow arrow is pointing to a “crack” in the first Ultra Light mirror I purchased.  Post HHH, the mirror has never wiggled off the helmet, but when I dropped my helmet, one evening while getting ready to ride, only the mirror made contact with the garage floor resulting in this “crack”, but it is still usable.
  3. The artwork for the first mirror I purchased was an old photo of a train tunnel on the nation’s first “rail trail” located in Wisconsin.  Here is an excerpt about the trail:
The 32-mile Elroy-Sparta State Trail is one of the first rail-to-trail conversions in the nation. A major asset to the Wisconsin State Trails System, the pathway follows an out-of-service Chicago & North Western Railway bed and passes through three rock tunnels, each handcrafted by rail workers in the early 1900s.

In order to prepare for the new riding season, I obtained two additional helmets…knowing anything might happen in 2011.

Here are the steps that I took to get my “cult fix” for the two helmet additions:

Step #1 - Reviewed product order sheet, provided with my first original purchase, focusing on mirror size and style. I selected the 1 1/2" in Helmet Mount Mirror - Type ID: F-38


Step #2 - Called Chuck Harris to determine pricing for two mirrors with custom art work and to chat with a First Class Classic.

Price for Two Custom Order Mirrors $44
Talking with Chuck Harris.....PRICELESS!


Step #3 - Finalized a power point print out representing 1.) artwork with "bleed" 2.) desired mirror size art work, and 3.) description of helmet (or in my case a picture of the helmets).

Step #4 Mailed a check on March 17, 2011 and waited patiently.....knowing that you cannot rush excellence.  Goal was to hopefully have new helmets ready to go for ABC's Think Spring Invitational (4/10).  Since it poured, I wore my commuter helmet and yellow rain suit...no one noticed the neon reflectors.

Step #5 - Celebrate Excellence! The "tube of recycled goods" arrived Saturday 4/16/2011, but it was just too wet to retrieve the mail Saturday afternoon.  Thus, Andy found the "tube" before his softball practice Sunday morning (4/17).   

If it was not so darn windy last Sunday, I might have had a picnic
on the top of my recycle bin to really celebrate!  Took this shot in a matter of seconds
to avoid having the mirrors fly away before
anchoring them to helmets for LIFE!

Step #6 - Take Incriminating Photos of Helmets and Mounted Mirrors with "Strategically Placed Diversion"


You'll get bonus points in the comment section below if you can identify
the dude in the center frame of these mug shots.


So....

What type of mirror do you use when you ride?
Leave a comment please.

If you know Chuck Harris...do you have any stories?
 Leave a comment please.

I firmly believe a good helmet and an effective "rear view" seeing method are critical elements to safe riding.

Remember: Ride Safe 

3 comments:

  1. The late Sheldon Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo! Flashing Lights! Buzzers! Confetti!

    Bonus points, and a big hello, to one of the bad mamma jammas of Team ROMEO and one of the prior leaders of the outrageous ABC winter rides (vintage 1970 to 1990) which were called, "All But Crazy" rides! Or, pending Walt's clarification, was that "All BUTT Crazy"?

    Sheldon and I have a lot in common. We are (were) both Bay Staters. And, we both look bad in helmets! That's about it.

    But as Walt, and any "experienced" rider knows, Sheldon Brown wrote the “en-cycle-pedia” on biking and bike repairs.

    Just google "Sheldon Brown" and that's about all you need to know!

    I can't wait to tell you all about the "inspiration" of "Reunion Walt". It's a long tale, maybe not as long as his prior "pony tail"...which is no longer!

    I'll finish on that "hairy" thought!

    Ken J.

    PS - Even though Walt failed to mention it...I do know he always rides always with a "Take-a-Look" mirror. Not sure about any "chuck envy"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEWS FLASH !!!!

    Not only did Chuck Harris get press in COW, but word from the ROMEO's this afternoon (great ride from Botzman to Penera's in Hudson) was that Mr. Harris was featured in the recent issue of Adventure Cycling.

    Much bantor was made about this post and the legend of Chuck Harris and his stuff.

    I hope returning ROMEOS readers...will leave comments!

    ReplyDelete