Monday, April 25, 2011

CYSIN: Reflecting Back on "Mooo-n Light Monday" (4/25)

Okay...so the "CYSIN" reference in these series of post titles, each dated April 30, 2011, might be a little confusing.

Let me explain the mechanics this way....

In the processing of "focusing my telescope" for the mission of this "one month old" blog, which is intended to simply be a personal journal, I have made the following discoveries:
  • Setting the "context" of my blogging background is challenging.  I should have started blogging a year ago...when I began my bike riding activities.  If I had, I wouldn't feel compelled to explain stuff all the time.
  • It seems, in this world of blogging/journaling, that it is difficult to stay current.  Biking, working, thinking, creating (and other stuff I should be doing), all seem to demand time and attention.  I am working on finding the right "gear" to ride it...to keep my pedal strokes smooth. However, I am loving the ride!
  • Steering is a problem.  "Stay between the lines", is one of my favorite TV commercial quotes...that I need to more consistently apply here.  Sorry if I get distracted and roll off the path occasionally (okay...most of the time). 
Repeat after me, COW intends to write about making "positive connections" on the cycling trail!  The CYSIN preface, is my attempt to get caught up on "connections" that I have made in April, before moving on to the merry, merry, month of May!

So...if I am filled with such merriment, "WHY the SAD Moon Face?"

On the 26th day of the "moon's cycle", one can see
...old man in the moon!

When I got home last Monday night (4/25) at 11:15pm, I felt very satisfied.

First, I got in a nice 25 mile ride without rain drops.  Second, I got to see my buddy Mike B and one of his restored Schwinn Twins.  Third, I felt encouraged by uniting with ABC members on facebook...folks actually confirmed my friend requests! Fourth, I seemed to find my pedal stroke for the type of blog post I was looking for.

Here is the link to last Monday's post if you want to check it out: Dancing in the Mooo-n Light     I liked that I shared my ride with you and that I got to talk about some personal connections from the trail.

So...back to the sad face.

Besides all the post ride positives I described above, there was one more point to celebrate. 

When I logged my miles into my tracking spreadsheet, I checked the week to week increase and said to myself, "Well done KNEE REHABBING PATIENT!  You have been reasonable in building up your weekly miles after your painful two week layoff.  That is just what the doctor ordered!"

Take a peak...at my controlled weekly rehab progress:


I then felt doubley pumped that I may have a shot to tackle TOSRV that Bob Iden mentioned in his FB post.

For those who don't know TOSRV stands for Tour Of the Socioto River Valley.  It's a two day event, on Mother's day weekend, covering a route from Columbus (OH) to Portsmouth on Saturday, with a return to Columbus on Sunday.  That equates to two centuries (century = 100 mile ride) with total miles for the weekend of 210-ish.

Here is the link to TOSRV.  This is a special year, since they are celebrating their 50th year anniversary (started in 1962) and are expecting 3,000 riders.  They also are expecting to have "typical" TOSRV weather...the full spectrum of "COW droppings!"

I rode with some ABC folks who did 2010 TOSRV. They described brutal heads winds going South on Saturday.  And, brutal head winds going North on Sunday.  Throw in some sleet, rain, snow, and a little sunshine and that is "TYPICAL TOSRV"!

In the event ride info, here is a WARNING that I found appealing:

TOSRV is not for the casual cyclist. To enjoy TOSRV you should have ridden at least 400 miles during the two months prior to the Tour including at least one 75-mile day. In addition, you, your bicycle, and equipment must be in top shape.

Status check for TOSRV:
  • Okay.  I am a casual, fun loving guy, but would want to be know as a serious cyclist.
  • Yes.  Within my YTD miles of 2,004.3, 679.9 in the last 35 days meets the 400 miles in two month test.
  • A 75 mile ride in the prior two months?  Well...does Feb 6 -  80.6 miles, or Feb 27 -  71.3 miles, or Mar 7 - 100.1 miles count? Dang...close but no cigar!
All I need to do is get a long ride, and I should be "good to go" for TOSRV 2011.

And, if you are an ABCer or ROMEO, you know I have been planning a little mini-TOSRV to see my niece in Sandusky...once the weather breaks.  That would be 80 miles out and 80 miles back.  A nice test for a rehabbed knee.  That would make me smile for sure!

So...back to the sad face.

There is no happy faces in play...because as the "procrastinating blogger"...I know what is coming in the next post called:  CYSIN: Traumatic Tuesday!

(To be continued - tomorrow!)

Here is some more CYSIN revelation:

Three sections are now exposed.  Any guesses?
Leave your best shot in the comment section below!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    Flattering as it is that you would deem my drawing fit decoration for your blog, it would have been nice if you'd given credit where due, or post a link to the original...
    http://treehouseobservatory.blogspot.com/2011/01/sad-moon.html
    Happy cycling and clear skies
    cw
    http://treehouseobservatory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete