Saturday, April 9, 2011

Documenting the Dirge

Biking statistics tell us any Friday afternoon is one of the worst times for riding your bike on the roads within any city…especially between 3:00pm and 6:00pm.  You never know when an over zealous driver, anxious to get home or on the way to celebrate TGIF, will try to get you with a “Right Hook” and you certainly have to be constantly on the lookout for a deadly “Red Cross”.  Wish I had more time here to talk about these ever present biking hazards, but I am short on time for the moment.  I’ll leave you with this one tip, if the roads are a little crazy; PLEASE AVOID riding on the sidewalk instead…that’s just as hazardous. 



Knowing of the above riding hazards, I set out on my “reflective ride” to hook up with the lower section of the Metro Park Hike and Bike Trail through Monroe Falls and Stow.  Before leaving the house, I spotted an Ohio State headband/ear-warmer and decided to wrap it around my left arm so that the buckeye logo would not show. 

I progressed NE through residential streets in the Falls while crossing the major cross streets of Broad and Portage Trail which were flowing swiftly with afternoon traffic.  My safety target, once connecting with Oakwood, was to navigate the route of Johnson Street, to Notre Dame, in order to head north on Charles St.  Don’t know the name of it (short comings of being a non-CFalls native), but let’s say its called Charles Street Elementary.  Behind this school is the “pedestrian only bridge” that crosses over Route 8 just south of the Graham Road interchange.  

As usual, I clip out of my pedals before riding over the bridge and proceeded cautiously through the hairpin turn sections towards the Silver Lake exit ramp part of the bridge.  Once over the bridge, the familiar trail unfolds through the Silver Lake community to the Kent Road crossing which is aided by “biker friendly” push button light changing activation devices (simpler than it actually sounds). 

At the end of the short cross street extension, a left turn picks up the actual Bike & Hike trail which loops behind the Silver Lake City Hall facilities.  Flooding in the adjacent baseball diamonds is not a welcome sight, so proceeding on the trail to the “up and over hump” has me wondering if the balance of the trail might be underwater.

Upon cresting the hump, the snake path of the trail below is passable but the swollen Cuyahoga River has previously encompassed the banks of the elevated trail. The next good rain will make the trail impassable, but today’s clearance allows me to exhale a sigh of relief.  Let the reflections begin.

As noted in my prior post (Getting Personal), the word that comes to mind is horrified.  I pedal on in numbness.

Overcast skies and mid forty temps seem to have curbed interest for the trail.  I only note a few walkers who were well bundled up.  Out of character, the winds are blowing from the east which I enjoy best…get the hard grind over with on the first portion of the ride.  Thinking positively, may the tail winds be on my back for the return leg!

The two miles pass quickly before the next “portage trail” question arises.  There are no orange cones to indicate high waters have closed the underpass route beneath Darrow Road so I scoot right and keep alert.  Just prior to the underpass, barriers indicate an impasse.  Fortunately, there is an escape pathway that leads in front of the fire station and I pedal to the cross walk to see traffic thicker than a dense fog.  I bow my head and pray, “Lord, what about helping out with a timely train crossing?”

Thirty seconds later, the bells ring, the red flashing lights of the crossing barriers drop, and the south bound traffic comes to a stand still as the lucky ones heading north scamper through.  “Thank you Lord, that was quick.”  I clip in and pedal into the parking lot of Brust Park.

After a quick restroom stop, I’m back in the saddle and rolling to the trail entrance above the “once they were there, now they are gone” Monroe Falls.  Passage on the trail looks chaotically congested as two groups of walkers are trying to control and prevent the entanglement of leased dogs.  I look down and realize I have failed to mount my “Ohio State Law” required bell.   So instead of ringing a warning, I slow down and smile until an opening appears for me to pass.  I then hope for smoother sailings.

As I pass by a mom, daughter, and collie I sense a “small voice”.  After traveling another 25 yards, I hear the voice again, “You got the train crossing, what about making a “trail connection” that you are intently blogging about?”  My reply, “You’re right.”  Convicted, I turn around and pedal back to the walkers with a thought in mind.

I made several inquiries, “Is your dog’s name Lassie?”  “Is your dog a boy or a girl?”  “I have two small dogs at home, and I love how the girl dog is a barker”   Lassie replies with a bark of her own.  I then ask the closing question, “Could you do me a favor?”

I explained that I have a blackberry in my back pocket and was hoping that the young girl could take my picture.  I removed it from its protective plastic baggy and took two quick snaps shots of the girl and then of the three of them.  With great care, she returns the favor as mom looks on.  Mission accomplished.

                              Nina                       Cager           Nina, Sheba, Shela


I then asked a leading question, “Do you have a bike to ride Nina?”  She responds in the affirmative that she rides it often around her neighborhood.  I then asked a tougher question, “Do you wear a helmet?”  She shakes her head no and then acknowledges that she should.  I then proceed to tell her of my accident…the one where I rode in to the back of a school bus. 

I graphically describe how the helmet split when I lowered my head, for the only protection I could think of, in a split second, was to use it as a shock absorber against the back of the bus.  As her jaw dropped, I went on to explain the secondary, but serious, injuries I sustained but gave credit to the smashed helmet for saving me.

I winked to be sure she got the positive aspect of my message, “To always wear a helmet”.  I told them to check out the COW blog for I hoped to post the pictures that they helped with.  I also shared the sadness of the story behind the black arm band I was wearing.

As I pedaled away, I asked the small voice “Was that sufficient?”  I think I heard the quite reply, “Yes. Thank you.”  

Might I apologize for the detail narration of documenting my dirge?  I am not sure how to write about the actual tears that flowed for the balance of my ride.

The tail wind on the return ride home was soothing.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the company on the ride to breakfast today! It was a great way to start the ABC season and I met several neat people. I am sorry about my bluntness in relaying the information about your co-worker and glad to hear that you turned that mourning into a new trail connection that could save a young girl's life. Ride On Cager!!

    ReplyDelete